Thursday, February 3, 2011

Eggless "Happy Anniversary" Cake Pops

The idea to make these came from Tania's post for Red Velvet Cake Balls. I did some googling and decided to make cake pops instead and then the long wait, I have been wanting to make these for 6 months now. The New Year kicked in and so did my dieting (ahem!), I certainly knew I was baking this for someone and not devour it all by myself! Finally, I found my perfect occassion - a friend's anniversary. Valentine's Day was around the corner so finding my choice of colors and props was very easy!

So, here goes the recipe

* Chocolate cake - go for a simple chocolate cake of your choice or even a box mix should work. I stuck to my favortie Vegan Chocolate Cake
* Creamcheese icing - you can find my recipe for vegan icing HERE. I added a little bit of pink food color to my icing!
* Chocolate – I used Wilton Candy Melts, easily available in Michaels or Joann. I used white color melts.
* Lollipop sticks - again these are also available in (wood and plastic) Michaels or Joann
* Mini clear bags, strings - optional
* Sprinkles or any other decoration you wish to use

Cake and Icing - Bake the cake, once it’s done place it on a cooling rack and let it cool down completely. Then, crumble the cake with your fingers. You could also pulse it in the food processor or a stand mixer. Next comes the icing. I made the exact quantity of icing as in the recipe above but ended up using about half the quantity. If you are buying readymade icing, this is about 8oz. You need a dough like consistency that you are able to scoop out and make balls that don’t fall apart. I went for golf ball sizes and that gave me exactly 30 pops. Refrigerate the cake balls for at least 4 hours, you could refrigerate it overnight or even a bit longer! If you want to speed up the process, pop it in the freezer for about 20 minutes, remember it still needs to be soft enough to insert the lollipop sticks.

Lollipop sticks - Melt about 1/3 cup of the candy melts. Dip the lollipop sticks (about ¼ inch in) and insert it into the cake balls and let it sit for a little bit. This helps them stick to the cake balls.

Coat the pops - Now melt more chocolate to yield ½ cup of melted chocolate. Slowly dip/roll the pops in the chocolate to get an even coat throughout covering all the brown areas! If you are using sprinkles or any other decoration that needs to stick on, do that as soon as you are done coating.


I did the coating in parts because the chocolate starts to solidify in about 10 minutes. I was able to coat about 10 pops in 10 minutes (well it took me a while to get a hang of it and not break the pops as I was coating!) Once you put the sprinkles on let it dry, the best way to do this would be to stick them on a styrofoam block. The pops dry in about 15 minutes. When they are nice and dry, pop them into clear bags and secure them with a string...all done!!!






6 comments:

  1. Like i said, can pass of as Roses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww!! thanks Shilpa :)
    can't wait to make these for the erie-ites :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry to burst your bubble, but do you realise that wiltons candy melts are in no way vegan??? they are loaded with dairy..

    heres the ingredient list below:
    Sugar, Partially hydrogenated palm kernel oil, Reduced mineral whey powder, Whole milk solids, Nonfat dry milk solids, soy lecithin, salt, artificial flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. point well taken Anonymous, thank you, I changed the name :)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to our food blog. Please feel free to leave your comments or suggestions for improvements in a recipe. If you try any of the recipes here, please send us your feedback or pictures and we will post it on the blog.