Monday, October 3, 2011

"Boost" Cake/Barfi

Here's a popular burfi recipe with a slight twist! I ran into this Bournvita Fudge recipe on Chitra Amma's Kitchen and figured this would be the best way to use up all the Boost (now that caffeine is 'the secret of my energy'!) sitting in my pantry.



Boost Cake/Burfi
Adapted from Dibs' Bournvita Fudge @ Chitra Amma's Kitchen
Ingredients:
Ghee - 3/8 cup
Maida/All-Purpose Flour - 1 cup
Sugar - 3 cups
Water - 1 cup
Boost - 1/2 cup (mix the Boost with some warm water such that the consistency is like condensed milk)

In a non stick pan heat the ghee on low-medium heat and add the flour and roast till it changes some color and you start smelling a nice aroma. Remove the flour mix and set it aside. The original recipe calls for 1/4 cup ghee. It also mentions that ghee+flour should form a 'thick paste'. I started with 1/4 cup of ghee but had a crumbly flour so I added another 1/8th. This gave me a soft dough, more like a 'thick paste'.

In the same pan add the sugar+water on medium heat and boil to a one-string consistency. As suggested in the original recipe, I referred to this LINK and boiled it to the "soft-ball stage". Just when I thought I had the perfect tool for the temperature, I realized my kitchen thermometer doesn't go beyond 220 degrees :(( I still used it and let the sugar boil for about 10-15 minutes after my thermometer reached 220 deg. and then tested for a one string consistency. To learn more about sugar syrup consistencies as used in Indian cooking, check out this LINK.



Grease a 8x8 baking pan (or any other dish with a raised wall) and set aside.

When the sugar is done, add the flour paste and stir well to remove lumps. Now slowly add the Boost paste while constantly stirring the mixture. Let the mixture boil as you continue to mix, you will notice a lot of thick bubbles in the center. Keep stirring on medium heat till it thickens and starts to leave the sides of the pan. As you try to quickly move/stir the mixture, you will be able to see the base of the pan for a good 2 seconds before the mass comes back together again. This is roughly about 10-15 minutes after you've added the Boost paste. 

Now, pour this mixture into the greased pan and let it cool for about 5-10 minutes. At this stage it will still be warm and you should able to draw the lines to cut the cake. Once you have done that let it cool for another 10-15 minutes and you can completely cut the pieces out and enjoy the warm burfis! My end product definitely had a bit to it, for a fudge consistency, I would remove the mixture after 10 minutes or less of mixing.

it's always a challenge to get the right consistency in burfis...this one deserved a BIG smile!


2 comments:

  1. Absolutely love it, Anu. Why California?? Love the smiley pic :-) Cheerful start to my day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Niti! and I ask, why OK? and lets take this off-blog! :)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to our food blog. Please feel free to leave your comments or suggestions for improvements in a recipe. If you try any of the recipes here, please send us your feedback or pictures and we will post it on the blog.