Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Masoor Daal and Chana Soup

Serving Size: 3-4

I am sure you've noticed that a lot of my recipes are adapted from some great chefs that have inspired and continue to inspire me. Yeah! one of my hobbies is to browse for recipes and food blogs. If something looks good and is doable in my mind, it gets tagged as a "must try". I hope these chefs don't mind me posting their recipes on my blog. Of course, I make sure to give them the due credit and like they say Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!!!

So, here goes one more dish inspired by a recipe I found online. It's THE perfect soup for a cold rainy day! Click HERE for the original recipe and read below for my twists and notes!

  • I used 1/2 cup of canned white chana (chick peas/garbanzos) instead of the black eyed peas. I added the chana in the end after the masoor was done
  • Vegetables - I used 1 cup of frozen vegetables and 1/2 cup of small-medium frozen broccoli florets
  • Green Chili - I used 1 serrano pepper finely chopped. If you don't want it too spicy, make that 1/2. Most of the flavor in the soup comes from the chili.
  • On medium-low heat (number 4 on the stove setting), the masoor daal should be done in about 20 minutes. Garnish with parsley flakes, fresh cilantro, lemon juice and serve. You can also save some of your green chili, slice it up and use it for garnishing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to our food blog. Please feel free to leave your comments or suggestions for improvements in a recipe. If you try any of the recipes here, please send us your feedback or pictures and we will post it on the blog.