Monday, July 19, 2010

Jalapeno Cheese Focaccia

Back to blogging ... finally!!! During this long hiatus, I managed to flag a few recipes that caught my attention. Here's one such dish ... a great BREAD RECIPE from one of my favorite blogs. The whole process took me a little over 2 hours and 15 minutes, I am glad I reserved this for a Sunday.


Notes:
  • I followed the recipe to the T. For my topping, I used sliced jalapeno peppers a cheese mix (shredded monterey jack and yellow cheddar).
  • When it comes to baking, I always make it a point to make 1/2 the quantity mentioned in the original recipe (I learnt this the hard way!). So, I made exactly 2 of the 8" loaves.
  • I had to repeat the "yeast acitivating" process a couple times. That is probably a worthwhile exercise since this first step pretty much decides the texture and taste of the final product.
  • Although the consistency of the baked bread was excellent, I would probably remove the bread a little earlier next time so my bread is a tad bit softer.
On 2/23/2011, whatdoimake wrote:

The post and the blog are not available online anymore, that's sad! This is one of my favorite recipes and Good Things Catered is a great blog too. So, after kicking myself for not pasting the actual recipe here, I frantically searched the web to see if someone else had posted this recipe or if the blogger posted it elsewhere. Fortunately, I found the recipe on a recipestap. Here goes the recipe for Fresh Focaccia Loaves by Katie @ Good Things Catered

Ingredients:
1 1/2 c. warm water (110-115 degrees)
1 Tbsp active dry yeast
1 Tbsp sugar
1/4 c. olive oil, plus more for brushing
1 1/2 tsp salt
4 - 4 1/2 c. flour, sifted
Directions:
-In large bowl, combine 3/4 c. warm water, yeast and sugar.
-Let sit for 10 minutes until very frothy (if mixture does not bubble and froth, toss out and start again - your water was too cold or too hot).
-Add remaining water, olive oil, salt and 1 c. flour.
-Stir to combine very well, about 2 minutes.
-Add remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring to combine.
-Scrape off spoon and with hands, knead remaining flour and pieces into dough.
-Once dough is fully combine, turn onto prepared surface and knead until soft, still a bit sticky and smooth, about 5-7 minutes.
-Clean out bowl, dry and lightly cover with olive oil.
-Place ball of dough into bowl, brush top with a bit of olive oil, cover with plastic wrap, a kitchen towel and let rise in a draft-free area for 1 hour.
-After an hour, line 2 thick baking sheets with parchment and brush each with a tsp of olive oil.
-Turn dough out onto counter and cut in 4 equal pieces with a bench scraper.
-Turn edges of dough pieces underneath themselves to form a nice round ball and stretch a bit to form 8-inch disks.
-Place 2 disks onto each baking sheet and cover with plastic wrap and kitchen towel.
-Let rise for 1 hour.
-Meanwhile, prep toppings you would like to use.
-Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
-Meanwhile, using fingertips, make small indentations in top of dough rounds.
-Brush with olive oil, top with toppings of choice, sprinkle with kosher salt and let rise undisturbed while oven preheats.
-Place baking sheets into preheated oven and bake until loaves are baked through, about 20 minutes, rotating loaves half way through cooking time.
-Remove from oven, let cool, and serve warm or cooled.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to our food blog. Please feel free to leave your comments or suggestions for improvements in a recipe. If you try any of the recipes here, please send us your feedback or pictures and we will post it on the blog.