Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Asian Cucumber Salad

This is a simple summer time salad that I made in anticipation of summer here in San Francisco. Coming from Miami, I really do not have an experience with distinct seasons of the year as you have them here. You see, we are only used to hot, hotter and humid weather down in Miami. So, the move from Florida to California didn't just change 'everything' else as I knew it but also my appetite and appreciation for season specific food! Anyway, I had tasted this salad at a local Japanese restaurant and instantly fell in love with it. Yesterday with an excess of cucumbers in my refrigerator, I looked up online to see if I could find a recipe to recreate the magic. I found something similar here and had to mix it up right away to satiate my summer-food-seeking appetite!

To make the salad, you will need 1 big cucumber (I used those cute little mini cukes), peeled length-wise in stripes so as to get a layer of peel next to an unpeeled section. Once peeled, your cuke will look zebra patterned. For the dressing, you will need 1/4th cup rice vinegar, juice from 1 large lemon, 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp sugar. Also required are 1 tsp grated ginger and 1 tablespoon dry roasted white sesame seeds.

Add the dressing ingredients to a bowl and stir well to dissolve salt and sugar. Add the grated ginger. In a large salad mixing bowl, add diced cucumber and the dressing and toss. Finish by sprinkling the roasted sesame seeds on top. Serve immediately. The roasted white sesame seeds really add the kick, giving the cucumber an awesome "bite" in every spoon! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to our food blog. Please feel free to leave your comments or suggestions for improvements in a recipe. If you try any of the recipes here, please send us your feedback or pictures and we will post it on the blog.