Thursday, July 7, 2011

Pesto Pastry Pizzettes

I've blogged about this appetizer in my Christmas dinner post. We found this recipe on Sips and Spoonfuls, Archana's contribution to the dinner and I must say she has mastered this one! It was my turn to give it a try so here goes...

we had already attacked the plate before I took a pic!!

Pesto Pastry Pizettes
Adapted from Sips and Spoonfulls by Sukaina

Puff Pastry sheets - 1 box (this yields 18 pizzettes and you can manage about at least 4 or 5 more if you knead and roll out the scrap dough!)
Pesto - the original recipe (click on Sukaina's link above) calls for a special red pesto. I resorted to an easier method, I used Costco's pesto and mixed in some Tom Yum paste (WHATT?? yes, I did!!!) and 1/2 a tsp of Sriracha. I think you can add any red chili paste. As for the proportions, follow your taste buds!
Onion - 1/2 of a big one, finely chopped
Tomato - 1, cubed to 1" squares - you need 1 piece for each pizzette
Shredded cheese - mozzarella or cheddar (I think any other shredded cheese will work too!)

Move the pastry sheets to the refrigerator from the freezer and prepare all your ingredients. Preheat the oven at 400 degrees F. In the meantime prepare a muffin tray. I have read that you don't have to grease the tray if it's non stick but I always grease it!!!

Pull the pastry sheets out and cut them with a cookie cutter. There are two sheets in a box and you can cut 9 circles from each sheet (the sheets are folded into 3). I chose a round cookie cutter that was a little bigger than the base of the muffin tray circles! My go-to person for this recipe, Archana, tells me these come out just fine on a flat cookie sheet as well.

Place the circles in the muffin tray, pierce each circle with a fork 3-4 times, place 1/2 a tbsp of the pesto (I added about 1 tbsp and it was a bit too much), sprinkle some onions followed by the shredded cheese (be generous!) and finally place a piece of tomato and bake for 20 minutes.

Jalapeno Margarita Mix Dip, Cucumber-Ginger Salad, Chili-Corn-Avocado Salsa
a special mention for one of my favorite gifts "Vida by Espana Condiment Set" - thank you Shilpa :)




1 comment:

Welcome to our food blog. Please feel free to leave your comments or suggestions for improvements in a recipe. If you try any of the recipes here, please send us your feedback or pictures and we will post it on the blog.