Wednesday, December 22, 2010

A couple basics in baking...

Here are some of my go-to recipes in baking, especially when I venture into a new trick like experimenting with fondant or when I am trying a new baking technique etc. A tried and tested chocolate cake and a quick icing are worth flagging in your recipe collection!

* Whacky Vegan Chocolate Cake by Madhuram @ Eggless Cooking
I have also tried other vegan recipes that use soy milk and apple cider vinegar but this one takes the "cake" in terms of ease. Of course, the easiest is using a store bought box mix but if you are a regular baker, chances are you have a stock of the basic ingredients and that is exactly what this recipe calls for so this might be cheaper too!

* Cream Cheese Icing (or Vegan Cream Cheese Icing)
Butter - 1/4 cup (or Earth Balance butter if vegan)
Cream cheese - 1/4 cup (or Tofutti cream cheese)
Confectioner's sugar - 1 cup
Vanilla extract - 1tsp
I have discussed this recipe in my Red Velvet Cupcake post. If you like a very sweet icing, make that 2 cups of sugar. If you want colored icing, go crazy with food colors! Speaking of easy recipes, I use the Jello instant pudding mix to layer my Kahlua Cake. So, I am sure this is a good idea for an icing recipe. I haven't tried this yet but it's happening soon in one of my next baking ventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to our food blog. Please feel free to leave your comments or suggestions for improvements in a recipe. If you try any of the recipes here, please send us your feedback or pictures and we will post it on the blog.